Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Jade McCelland - Blog Post 2

One of the most famed “whistleblowers” within my subculture is a woman named Kim Osorio. Kim started working at The Source magazine in 2000, and by 2003 she was named Editor-in-Chief and was the first female within the company to ever hold that position. Long story short: the fact that she was a female in power didn’t go over well with most of the male employees that were “under” her. She was constantly harassed and taunted. While most female employees at The Source at the time just took it all with a grain of salt, Kim decided to file a lawsuit again The Source for sexual harassment, discrimination, and defamation of character – among other things.

Kim was like Dr. Stockmann in that she knew that something was wrong. Like Dr. Stockmann inherently knew that neglecting the pollution in the springs was wrong, Kim knew that to neglect to acknowledge sexual harassment in the workplace would be wrong. Unlike Dr. Stockmann though, Kim, before anything else – pursued legal action.

Wordle: Kim Osorio

(www.wordle.net)

4 comments:

  1. I really liked the whistle blower you choose, i would have liked more background information,but that analysis to relating it doctor stockmann was superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading about your whistleblower. I would have liked though if you told everyone of the outcome of her actions. I liked how you stated about how she took legal action whereas Dr. Stockmann didn’t. I believe that if The Enemy of the People story didn’t end that he would be forced to also take legal action. Your wordle was very colorful and I liked how Kim’s name and where she worked was in the biggest font.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am honestly impressed. The whistle blower that you chose was great. Her story was both interesting and intriguing. The one problem that I did find was that the parallels between Dr. Stockmann and Kim Osorio were few and far between. Other than that, your diction, style and writing skills are great. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jade,
    I love that you talked about The Source, although I'm not sure everyone knows that it is a hip hop magazine. Good job connecting the feel of the wordle to the theme of the magazine. I would have liked to hear more about Kim. It's always nice to see that other girls love hip-hop too:)

    ReplyDelete