Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Talia's Blog Post 3: Scuba Lessons


3. In Scuba Lessons, there was evidence that Kelly and Dan had previously dated. What evidence from the play makes you think that they will or will not make it in this budding relationship.

Kelly’s expectations for a partner are quite high. High expectations that are out of reach usually end in disappointment. She is the type that thinks “love will cure all” and it will strike like lightning, based on her dream and the opening aside. She is holding onto a fantasy that might not ever come true. Kelly seems to have issues and she even says, “I feel guilty a lot”.

I hope Kelly and Dan make it. Kelly is a little neurotic but it seems that she has accepted Dan and knows him well. Dan may not be as predictable as she thinks and does say exactly what she wants to hear when he compares her eyes to “home”. If she is able to let her guard down and not try to control or demean Dan, their relationship could work. Hopefully Dan can keep her interested and not be too predictable. Also, if Kelly can stay in reality and not believe that a “perfect man” exists, they may have a lasting, healthy relationship.

Image url:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/58/220279254_17c20cbec5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://blog.flickr.net/en/2008/02/page/2/&usg=__xbLFunx6IW4M-nxCdQWY7lO5VxM=&h=470&w=500&sz=101&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=FKae62O97E8EvM:&tbnh=122&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlove%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DX%26um%3D1

5 comments:

  1. I am really impressed with your response to this blog post. The one problem that I came across though was your lack of empirical evidence through the play of Kelly and Dan's budding relationship. Other than this not so large error, your writing was fantastic. I really enjoyed your structure and closing paragraph. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I LOVE that photo you used! And I like that you mentioned when Kelly said she "feels guilty a lot," that was a very important quote that I missed myself, so I'm glad you pointed it out to us.

    I also mentioned the fact that Kelly was too busy trying to find the "perfect man" that she was sabotaging herself. I liked to hear your view on that too.

    Great job on the post, I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great graphic, this is one of my favorite pictures. I think your post on Kelly and Dan was very insightful. I agree that Kelly really needs to focus on reality and not just on what she dreams. But at the same time I think that in the end of the story she realized her dreams were now her reality. But overall, I really enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your response. I enjoyed how you looked into more of the characters and their possible future than just the play. Good job =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the aforementioned ideas. However, in addition, I would say that although Kelly might be looking for a 'perfect' relationship, I think that her relationship with Dan goes beyond looking for that 'perfect' relationship. In fact once you are friends with someone sometimes you over analyze the situation, and start to fall in love with them. Testing out how far they will go, and asking yourself the question that 'do they like you' is most important with their relationship. It seems that they had an interest in each other before this blind-double dating experience, but looked only at the surface of each other, and only after separation, did they realize how much they liked each other. Great Response though, I didn't see that aspect before I read your post :)

    ReplyDelete