Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Blog 3 : Lisa Melchiorre


1. Discuss the similarities and differences between the play Scuba Lessons and Sure Thing. Use evidence from the story to support your claims.

Scuba Lessons and Sure Thing both take place in a cafe type of place. It's interesting because although they start out different each play turns into a date between at least two characters.
Sure Thing is about Bill and Betty who met each other in the coffee place and everytime one of them says something that the other person doesn't like or it doesn't allow the play to continue on a bell is rung to start over and turn it into the perfect responses.
I kind of found the same thing in Scuba Lessons when Martin and Kelly sit next to Rayne and Dan, Kelly can answer all of Dan's questions and what he likes and it seems like Kelly is perfect for Dan. The reader also finds out that how Rayne responses were what she thought Dan wanted to hear (i.e. Rayne: And by the way, I was lying. I really hate baseball).
Both plays were similar in how each "pair" was looking for the perfect date and responses, kind of how Kelly said she was here to meet her "soulmate".
The obvious differences include how in Scuba Lessons there are two couples rather than the one is Sure Thing. Also that in Sure Thing the "date" wasn't planned, it just sort of happened and with all the bells worked out for the best. I enjoyed both plays and they both told the reader how hard blind dates can be for anyone.

2 comments:

  1. I like the video that you included with yourpost. It fits the setting of both plays. You gave great detail and evidence in both the similarities and the differences of both plays. I think you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa,
    I was impressed that you looked at the significance of both plays ending with just two people and how they are similar in that way. I didn’t even think of that when I read them. I did feel that at the end of you post when you said both plays told the reader how hard it is to go on a blind date you could of supported that with the text. I loved you video I thought it tied into your post very well.

    ReplyDelete