Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Catherine's Blog Post 1


2. Analyze Dr. Stockmann's motivation in revealing the truth about the polluted springs. Selfish or unselfish motives? Explain.

This can be a very tricky question. I think his motives were both selfish and unselfish. In the beginning, he was unselfish in his actions. Being the Doctor of the small community, it was obvious to the reader that he was more concerned about the health of the overall people than that of his reputation. It seemed as though he was doing the right thing. However, as the story progresses, the reader is able to see that his motives move closer to the selfish end as he tells everyone about the dinner he “doesn’t deserve” and the recognition that he thinks will come. In the end, he is left with barely anything and it is all a result of his ego growing too large and to the point in which no one cares to listen, believe, or be around him.
Work Cited:

2 comments:

  1. Catherine,
    I totally agree with how Dr. stockmann was both selfish and unselfish, I had the same thoughts as I was reading through the acts. I felt you could of be a little more clear when you mentioned the doctors ego, I felt there were more aspects how things turned out than just his selfishness. Loved the picture of the stethoscope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine,
    I definitely agree that it is a VERY tricky question to determine if an individual is being selfish or unselfish in their motives, however, I think you could have elaborate a bit more on your main points. Also, I thought the picture you chose fit your post very well.

    ReplyDelete