Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sam E. Thoughts at Midterm

Me and My sister reading a book :)


3 important concepts you learned so far in the course
1. I have learned that stories are made up of different parts, such as the climax, and falling action. Also, I learned that the climax can occur at any point in the story, not just at the end.
2. I’ve learned a lot about poetry that I don’t know just one concept to chose. Before this class I pretty much just thought of poetry as 4 lines that every other one rhymed and I have learned that poetry is much, much more than that.
3. I also learned a lot about setting. I always just thought that setting was the location but I learned that the setting is a lot more than that, like the time era, clothing, dialogue etc.


3 activities you did that you either liked or didn't like and explain why
1. I really enjoyed doing the journal entries. I felt as though I could let loose and let my feelings out. It helped me learn to think on the spot.
2. At first I was really frusterated with the newspaper poem assignment. However, after I got started I learned to really like it. I was really proud of my poem after I was finished, and I was pleased to see it on the Professors blog!
3. I did not like discussion board we did during week 6. The F2F discussion board, where everyone had to participate and post at least 6 times was awful for me. I went on at noon when it opened and no one in my group got on until 1:30. And then I couldn’t stay until 3:30 when it closed because I had to catch the bus for class. I had to comment the same person every time because he was the only person on when I was. This assignment put me in an awful mood and made me feel like a failure. Oddly, I ended up getting full points for it, so maybe I was just being a drama queen.


3 sentences that represent how you felt about what you learned and what you did in class
English classes have never been my strong point, but I feel like this class is the one I am doing the best in! My ideas of reading and poetry have done a 180 change, and I really appreciate what I read. I sometimes worry about what is going in the class, because it is sometimes unorganized, but in the end I end up figuring it out, and feeling accomplished.

4 comments:

  1. Sam, I agree with you on the journal entries. That is one of the things I look forward to during class:) I also really like that you incorporated your family into that picture. It looks like literature is very much alive in your everyday life! I suggest that you keep on doing such a great job at putting your feeling down on these posts. You do a great job at being detailed and it helps others that you are willing to look things over! Great job girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also liked your photo of your sister and you reading.
    I debated about whether to have the online discussion timed for just the class period. I probably will open up the discussion forum for 24 hours the next time I do one where I have to miss a F2F class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that would be a lot better! I just don't like having to rely on other people for my grade. It worked out though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pic! You really did a thorough job on those responses! And I'm glad I wasn't the only one who said something I didn't like, I think the honesty is helpful!

    ReplyDelete