Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Julia Coffey: Blog Post 1 Enemy of the People


I think that Dr. Stockmann’s motives were both selfish and unselfish. I believe his motives were unselfish at first. I believe his intent was righteous and genuine and that he really wanted to help people and do the right thing. However, I think his ego began to get in the way and his intentions became selfish. It’s obvious throughout the story that Dr. Stockmann likes being center of attention. So I believe that his righteous acts turned into selfish gain. He wanted to get recognition for saving the town and expected to get a lot out of his “righteous” act. Sadly, in the end he didn’t get what he wanted and was left with almost nothing.

6 comments:

  1. I think your right about his intentions. They were unselfish at first. I also believe that when someone tells them self enough and says that they are not selfish, that they will believe it. His intentions were unselfish, but i think that what he told himself to make himself seem more prominent. However, the underlying problem was that he wanted to status and the power from which he would receive from his 'righteous' act.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job responding to the question, I think that his actions towards letting the people know that the springs are polluted was an unselfish act. Remember for next blog to put your name and which blog post, other than that I really liked your response =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOu did a fantastic job responding to the question. I think you could have used more information to support your thoughts. Also, I love the picture you chose to use. .Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a wonderful job responding to the question. You could have written a little ore detial and given more examples from the story itself. But mainly you did a great job of analyzing the character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you could have said it any better. I would have maybe used the word righteous a little less. I agree that he was both selfish and unselfish. I think his goals changed throughout the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julia,
    Great post! I enjoyed your picture don’t forget to cite it next time. I agree with your claims, but you needed more support from the text. A little more effort next time good post but you can always find more to say.

    ReplyDelete