Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Julia: Thoughts at Midterm


Concepts:

1. I've learned that a story is made up of exposition, rising action, climax, falling action and resolution. I had never heard of them before taking this class.

2. That authors will write about what they know and by looking up information about them you might get some insight into what their story is really about.

3. That you need to specify your audience when writing a paper.


Activities I liked/disliked:


1. I really enjoyed the wordles. I had never heard of them before and I think that they are a fun and creative way to do different assignments. I also like that they can be used for various things.

2. I enjoyed the student ran discussion forum. I think that the group leaders came up with very interesting questions. I was able to learn a lot about the various poems that we had read.

3. I enjoy the journal entries. They are a fun and creative way to get us to free write. I like the pictures and videos that are used and I like the thoughts and memories that they bring to mind.


How I felt:


I feel confident in my writing and my understanding of stories and poetry then I have felt in the past. I'm happy that I chose to take this class. It has exceeded my expectation and has been very enjoyable and like no other class I have ever taken. I feel like every college student should take a class like this. I think it would be beneficial and would open their eyes and allow them to see literature and poetry in a new way. I also think that it would better all college students skills in writing.

4 comments:

  1. I share a lot of the same things in what you've learned. I think it's interesting how the author's background plays such a big role at times. You went a little over the three sentences about how you felt, but overall, you can tell you put effort into this post and gave SBS some great feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way..I almost used that same picture!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia!
    Great picture as well! I mentioned to Catherine that I loved how her picture really conveys the amount of reading this class involves. It seems to be a recurring theme for blog posts. As well I agree with the wordle, I can remember when they were introduced I was like “word what??!” now I really enjoy using them. It is nice to do something different once in a while. In your response to prompt two number three you mentioned pictures and videos, maybe next time you could be more specific as to which ones you liked the best. Otherwise great job on your responses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved how you said that every college student should take a class like this because we are so on the same page. This class has found new and inventive ways to get students excited about literature and not many of my classes are as exciting as this one is. I also liked how you brought up that if you research the author you can get a better feel of what you will be reading. All in all I think you got the point across on how you felt about everything. Good job!

    ReplyDelete