Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Matt Goldberg: Thoughts At Midterm


3 Important Concepts

1. An important concept that we have covered in and out of class this year that I learned a lot about is Poetry. At first when poetry came to mind all I would simply think about is rhymes. This semester it has come to my attention that poetry is much more then just rhyming, there are many different types of poetry that I would have ever even know about had I not be taught about it.

2. Another important concept we covered this semester so far is after writing a paper or an essay you really got to proof read it and go back many, many times. Doing multiple drafts of my first paper made me realize how many mistakes I made the first attempt and how much better my final result was from my initial paper draft. Without proof reading my paper I would have gotten a terrible grade even though at first I thought I had a done a great job. It really makes you realize how much better your paper could get.

3. I have also learned that there is a lot more to writing then you would think. Although I knew the main parts of a story such as, plot, setting, point of view, etc, I have learned what each of these mean and been giving examples of each of them. Now knowing all of the parts to a story makes it more enjoyable to read and much more understandable. For example, when you read a story and don’t know about the actual parts, you might miss out on a great life lesson that the story is trying to bring out.

3 Activities I Liked/ Disliked

1. An activity that I really seemed to enjoy was the creating of Wordle’s. At first I had never heard of such a thing, but after learning about them I found them very interesting. Wordles bring out emphasis on a story or jus a character in general. Making wordless make you think about a characters feelings and who that character is. When I made my wordle back in the discussion forum it made me search and find words that described that specific character.

2. Another activity that I enjoy is the journal entries that we do on face-to-face class meetings. I like the journals because it has helped me learn that a picture or a story can really make you think, not only about what is in the picture but it brings back lost memories. Like when we had to respond to the Youtube video of all the scenery photos, it made me think of past vacations and certain moments that mean a lot to me. Also when we had to respond to a story about a lady and her husband and their first date, that reminded me of past dates that I have been on.

3. One activity that I disliked was writing of the poems in class. I feel pressured that I have to write a good poem in a short amount of time and that tends to make me have writers block.

3 sentences that represent how you felt about what you learned and what Iv done in class.

All in all I feel that I have accomplished a lot over the first half of the semester. I feel that we have done a ton of work in and out of class, that sometimes it gets quite overwhelming considering I have other class too. So far Iv enjoyed the class and look forward to learning more over the rest of the course.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to you, Matt, about writing on the spot. It is hard. However, in the real world, you might be pressed to do something. Timed writing gives you practice in that.

    ReplyDelete