Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Talia's Thoughts at Midterm


So far I have learned how to write a ballad, define plot and its elements, and how to read more effectively by annotating the text with questions and comments.

With all due respect, I did not like the class activity in which we made a poem from a newspaper article. In my opinion, it was neither challenging nor enlightening. I did enjoy posting and answering the questions to the short stories: Party Down at the Square and Shiloh. I felt our group worked well together to have a serious discussion and I left class with a deeper understanding. I also liked writing and listening to others' poems made from the types of poetry definitions. That class was fun and I learned some new definitions!

Overall, I am learning how to read, name elements and types of literature. I am grateful for the opportunity. I am satisfied with how the class is going so far. I truly enjoy the journal entries because I am surprised to see some true feelings! Also, they have encouraged my own personal journal writing. I am finding that I am getting more out of our online class meetings than our face to face classes. I think our online classes and discussions are quite focused and thorough.

4 comments:

  1. Other than the fact that it was you, your picture really attracted me to read your blog = ) I definately learned in greater depth the same things that you did, and I am grateful for the opportunity of having this class, as well. I was kind of shocked at your response to the cutting out and pasting of the poems - that was one of my favorite activities! (haha) As much of an advocate as I am for going to class and being in a classroom setting I gotta agree with you on how well the online portion has been going. I DEFINATELY enjoy the journal writing too, especially for the feedback (like yours!)


    = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the fact that the newspaper article assignment was not challenging. I thought it was a waste of time. Nice picture by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture you used for this is awsome. I honestly stared at it five minutes before I read the post. Other than the great picture, your words were great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you about online discussions being better than F2F ones. With online discussions, there is time for reflection and deeper thinking. I find that whole class discussions are a waste of time because only the extroverts speak out. I am a reflector myself and appreciate that I can construct my answer, even edit my thoughts in the discussion forum medium.

    ReplyDelete