Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Julia Coffey: Blog Post 2 Enemy of the People

Research a famous whistleblower not mentioned in this lesson.

Summarize briefly who this person was and why this person was a whistleblower.

Compare and contrast this person to the whistleblower from Enemy of the People, Dr. Stockmann.


When I first read the question, I wasn’t sure who I was going to write about. I decided to do a little research and see if I could find someone interesting to write about. I typed in “famous whistleblowers” and to my surprise a lot of websites came up. I clicked on the link at the top of the list and began to look. The one I decided to pick and write about is William Mark Felt. I don’t know about other people but I had no idea who he was at first, but as I read about him I quickly realized. William Mark Felt is a former agent and top official of the FBI. In 2005 he was revealed as “Deep Throat” the informant of the Watergate Scandal. I think William Felt is a perfect example of a whistleblower because he risked a lot to reveal the truth. He revealed a scandal about a former President of the United States and I think that is a very brave act and makes Felt a perfect example. For several years he worked in many different FBI fields before he was promoted to a position in Washington D.C. In early 1972 through 1974 the investigation of Watergate began. At the time Felt was the Associate Director, which is the second ranking post in the FBI. While he held that position her provided the Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward with critical leads on the story and his information eventually lead to the resignation of Nixon. Even though he played a major role in this event his identity was kept a secret for three decades.
I believe that Dr. Stockmann and William Felt are very similar. They both revealed a scandal that would change their lives and cause them to lose everything. They both fought for the truth and exposed it for what it was no matter the consequences. They were not scared about who was involved they were just interested and focused on doing the right thing. Felt risked his position and the job that he probably worked very hard to get to and Dr. Stockmann risked his family’s safety and his reputation. They both fought for important things and fought for what they believed was right and I believe that others should do the same.

3 comments:

  1. Great choice Julia! I don't think I have even heard of this man either, but after reading about the scandal he was a part of, that would be an obvious reason as to why he would be considered a whistle blower. I liked how you compared both Felt and Stockmann as two men who risked their own life for the safety of the people and stating that they both were very passionate about what they believed in. Great job overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took journalism last semester and we watched the movie with Robert Redford as one of the reporters on the Watergate scandal, and I actually thought of "deep throat" when reading this assignment. Good choice =]!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! We considered using him in our presentation but decided against it because he remained secret for so long. I love how you were completely honest about your lack of prior knowledge and the way you researched. I know how you felt! I wish you would have provided a little more detail on his actions but overall I loved your post!

    ReplyDelete