Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sam E Blog Post 1 Enemy of the People



2. Analyze Dr. Stockmann's motivation in revealing the truth about the polluted springs. Selfish or unselfish motives? Explain.

I believe Dr. Stockmann’s motives were unselfish because he even said he was doing it for the good of the town. At the bottom of page 1007, Dr. Stockmann says “ No, No fellows, no fooling around! I won’t put up with any commotion. Even if the Board of Directors wants to give me an increase I won’t take it- I just won’t take it, Catherine.” I think a small part of him was doing it for the glory and praise of the people, but for the most part he was doing it for the good of the town. I think that if Dr. Stockmann’s motivations were selfish then he would have given up after all the struggle he went through. While reading I first assumed that Dr. Stockmann only wanted to tell the people to make his brother mad, but as I read on, I changed my mind about that theory

2 comments:

  1. I really really really like your picture! I also like the quote you used to help describe his unselfish actions. It would have been cool to see more and get more of a sense of him being unselfish, but you did a great job of explaining it, nonetheless. I also applaud you for being able to choose one, I couldn't decide so I explained how he was both! Great blog, I liked your point of view on the subject.


    = )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam E.,
    I do agree that Dr. Stockmann’s actions were unselfish, but something to think about is, even though an individual says one thing doesn’t always make it true. Nice choice of graphic! Nice job on using real support from the text. I thought maybe you could have added a little bit more information to support your opinion, but overall well done

    ReplyDelete