Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Catherine: Thoughts at Midterm


Important concepts I have learned:

1. Plot can be found anywhere, from everyday life to one's wildest dreams. Though it can be arranged in many ways, most stories have an exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution.
2. Point of view is very important as the angle could change the plot because of a personal opinion.
3. How to analyze symbols using five steps

Activities I liked/disliked:

1. I'm not too tech savvy, so I was a little worried at first about the discussion forums and blogs. It turned out however, that I really enjoy them. I like being able to communicate with the other students in the class and I feel like I really got to know them. It was also easier to discuss online because I strongly dislike public speaking.
2. I loved the wordles! It's nice having an assignment like that every once in awhile to break up the everyday assignments like questions or papers.
3. I also enjoy doing the journals. It's nice to be able to take that few minutes during class to just sit and write whatever comes to mind. It has helped me a few times to just breathe, distress, and get some things off of my mind.

How I felt:

I feel great about the things I have accomplished so far in this class. The kudos and personal touches help out a lot. I have never enjoyed a literature class this much before and I'm glad it has already far exceeded my original expectations.
Work Cited:

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Catherine. Glad to hear you like the journal posts. We didn't get to do one for our poetry writing lesson on the types of poetry. I enjoy getting my thoughts, however random, out there. It can lead to some good "brain farts."

    SBS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catherine!
    Loved the picture I felt like it really symbolized the amount of reading this class involves. I totally agree about the wordle and stressing over not being “tech. savvy” enough to pass this class. I think your post could have been a little more constructive if you would have mentioned something you didn’t like so professor will know for next time what was successful and what wasn’t. Otherwise I loved your thoughts on the class I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed what you had to say about what you liked about the class. I agree with you about the wordle and journal entries I liked them a lot as well. However I think that your concepts fell short at the end. You had detail about plot but had none for analyzing symbols. But overall I enjoyed your blog and I completely agree with what you wrote about how you felt. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally see where your getting at here. I really enjoyed learning about plot and the different types of poems. I also have that feeling of accomplishments with the assignment that we have completed so far. I can also agree with you that the wordles were very fun to work with, I surly hope we can do something with them again later on. It seems like most of the things that we learn in this course can be applied else where in life. As the professor said in the beginning of the course, "this class is practical."

    ReplyDelete