Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ian Rosenthal's Blog Post 3

  • In Scuba Lessons, there was evidence that Kelly and Dan had previously dated. What evidence from the play makes you think that they will or will not make it in this budding relationship.


There are many indications in "Scuba Lessons" that show evidence of Kelly and Dan possibly having a past relationship. In the beginning of the play, Kelly wakes up stating that she had a dream last night about a guy... "Last night I had one of those dreams where I woke up and I couldn’t remember anything I dreamt about."(Kelly Act 1) This could be the first clue to that fact that she loves Dan and wants to be with him. Yet, during the middle of the play Kelly and Dan each go on a "blind" date in which the date takes place at the same restaurant. It seems as if they are both uncertain about there break up and do not want to date anyone else. Kelly says, "Actually it’s a blind date. Both Dan and I have blind dates tonight. Which would normally scare me. To tell the truth I was terrified." When I read this line my view towards Kelly and Dan immediately changed. I believe that Kelly and Dan had a past relationship and are trying to, sort of, get over each other. Yet, clues and symbols throughout the play indicate the strong love that Kelly may have towards Dan, but Dan may not feel the same way.


http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3441/3347642854_3c68d85bd7.jpg

http://www.theatrehistory.com/plays/scuba_lessons.html

No comments:

Post a Comment