Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Mike M's Blog Post 1: Enemy of the People Act II

2. Analyze Dr. Stockmann's motivation in revealing the truth about the polluted springs. Selfish or unselfish motives? Explain

It can be a hard feat trying to pin-point someone's intentions. Often, to grasp someone's motives one must understand the person's character. In the first scene of the play, the quibbling back and forth between Peter and Dr. Stockmann is certainly telling. Their commenting on each others eating habits, their accusations of libel, etc. I think it would be difficult to label his motives as completely selfish or unselfish. He was selfish in the fact that he probably didn't much care for the well being of the community as much as he cared to slight Peter. That said, his actions provided necessary environmental information to the community. I'd say that his actions were more selfish than unselfish.

3 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you that Dr. Stockmann was more selfish than unselfish and I loved how you tied in the smaller instances of him attempting to slight his brother. Where is your graphic though? Overall great explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that it difficult to really understand a person’s motives without having to know the person character. I think the author did a fine job describing the characters, but I also think that it was the point to really make us think about his real motives. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with you that it is sometimes difficult to decide on what the characters motive are. I like how you took examples from the story. Great job of analyzing Dr. Stockmann.

    ReplyDelete