Friday, October 16, 2009

Dr. Stockman


Dr. Stockman is completely unselfish in his motives to expose the poisoned springs. Even though the total cost of tearing down and rebuilding the springs (the main source of income for the town), will be high, the cost of not taking care of this problem is even greater. Dr. Stockman has recognized this point and values human lives more than money. I do not sense that he is doing this for recognition or to increase his own status in society. If he was doing this for his own benefit, he would care that by this expenditure of tearing down the springs, he and his family will lose money and status. But that is not the case, this family has lived in poverty before and survived, Mrs. Stockman is the only one who really cares about losing money and that is why she is backing up the corrupt government aka Peter instead of her own husband.


6 comments:

  1. I agree in a sense that Dr. Stockmann has a great concern for the people and he is trying to assist in saving their health. However, I do feel that there is some selfishness behind the matter. I liked how you brought up the fact that Dr. Stockmann is willing to give everything up whereas Mrs. Stockmann is not. Overall, I really liked your post and it got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with how you thought it was completely unselfish. I thought a good point you could have made would have been that Dr. Stockmann even told Mrs. Stockmann that he would give Peter credit if it came to it. That shows me that he was doing it for the good of the town and not for his reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the point that you are trying to make, and I agree with you. I enjoyed the way you set up your point and executed it. The one suggestion that I can make is to increase the length of your work. There was so much more you could have elaborated on. Other than that, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be sure and back up your opinions with quotes from the book that demonstrate he has no selfish motives. Also, don't forget to label your subject of your post to include your name and the blog post number.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samantha,
    I do agree that Dr. Stockamnn was unselfish but you need support from the text to prove your claim. Could there maybe be any selfish actions throughout act 2. Good post, you could have possibly written a little more to prove he was unselfish. There is a lot of information within the text to help support your ideas.

    ReplyDelete